Pages

Monday 18 February 2013

giving video and audio feedback to students

I have piloted both video and audio feedback. What I mean by this is giving both formative and summative feedback on video or in audio recording format supplemented by a few bulleted pointers (rather than the essays I had got into the habit of writing). With the video I experimented with a web cam but found that the resolution was poor. I also had problems with synching of picture and sound that were only partially resolved when I switched to a hand held TRAVELLER video camera (I bought it in Lidl for 49.95). I then had to convert the video (I used zamzar.com) to a common format (I chose wmv) then put them on CD for the students. Some couldn’t read them so I put a low res version on YouTube which was only accessible to that student. I felt in the end that the qualitative benefits were outweighed by the fiddlyness and time but now feel that with the FLIP cameras I have got I should try again. I would also upload each file to box.net and proved a link for each student to access it. There are other issues such as how I felt about having my face on people’s PCs and TVs but I soon got over the self-conscious side of things.

The audio is by far and away simpler but then the non verbal communication and subtle nuances are lost that video has. Even so there’s a lot that people pick up form the voice that is missed on paper. I have experimented with audio boo (www.audioboo.fm ) using the Iphone to record but this isn’t private (i.e. you have to get permission and make sure students are aware that anyone can listen). Of course you don’t have to name anyone if you keep close track and all students can listen to all feedback and in theory ‘learn by other people’s mistakes’. I also use the basic recorder on the iPhone, e mail it to myself then convert in batches in zamzar. Once this is done I upload to box.net and send a unique link to each student. This sounds fiddly but once you have done it once it gets easier and easier. It is also very well received. I have also used a handheld digital recorder- quality is better but it does take a bit more time. I have included some student responses further down. The bottom line is this: once you have cracked the technical side a) it takes less time to mark big pieces of work and b) most students feel there is more quality and depth to your feedback.

I had read some enthusiastic bits of action research about video feedback- this presentation, for example, deals with a big experiment and ‘did it properly’ http://www.slideshare.net/robinkay/video-feedback-in-online-courses

Interesting case study on video feedback: http://www.english.heacademy.ac.uk/explore/publications/casestudies/technology/camtasia.php

Why and how of video feedback: http://ideaconnect.edublogs.org/2010/08/14/student-assessment-using-video-feedback/

This is a piece of software that takes it to a new level. With or without it, it does give pause for thought about how immediate and impacting this sort of thing can be:

Another interesting take on audio/video feedback- using Youtube: http://www.rsc-ne-scotland.org.uk/mashe/2010/07/using-youtube-for-audiovideo-feedback-for-students/

Short case study on audio feedback: http://www.bioscience.heacademy.ac.uk/resources/projects/merry.aspx

What students thought of audio and video feedback:

I think the feedback on CD was very helpful. I personally prefer it to the written version as the meaning of what you were saying comes across very well. I find it hard to understand the tone when someone writes feedback down anyway so thumbs up from me.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I found this a very interesting way of giving feedback and something that I feel would be a way forward in my practice.  For myself I preferred this as you highlighted some problems I have in using language in a much more in-depth way. 

 

I understand more now about joining up thinking between the journals and using the action plan to emphasis problems I have encountered with the two departments working together. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

As someone who has ME/CFS,  I find listening to feedback much easier than reading and this had a much more positive impact on my learning.  I was able to take in the information and evaluate it better.  My mind made more sense of what you were saying to me and I was less confused.  Thank you for sending the CD,  it has made me realise I really can still learn and reflect but in a different way than I have been used to.

 

I had only one tiny criticism and that was that it was not loud enough, however that may be my PC.  I had my speakers on full but really had to strain to hear everything you said.  

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Having received both written and video feedback on my assignment, I feel I must comment. 

First, I found your comments very helpful, particularly as I had to resubmit the second part of the assignment.  Most useful was that you could give more help and advice than you could have done on paper.  Also, as you mentioned in your introduction to the video, your body language sometimes reinforced your comments.  What was interesting was that you explained what you were thinking as well as the practical aspects of the feedback, which you would certainly struggle with were you to try to write that down.

Did you mark the assignment first? Or was it on the fly?  I am asking because I might be able to use this method of feedback myself, particularly with my Employer Responsive candidates, as I only get to see them once a month.

The telephone ringing, your mobile alerting you to a text, and you traversing back and forward on your chair (Health and Safety issue?), I think should have been edited out.  You had already said that there may be pauses.  However, it didn’t detract from the overall message and I could ignore it.

The sound and vision quality was constant and the CD played through Windows Media Player without me having to download any viewers.  Was this something you planned, or did you trust that everyone would be able to view the video?

Could this be used “live”, for instance using one of the many chat clients?  I feel that it might be more effective with a two-way conversation.  I know time is an issue, and with many candidates, the technology could be too, but it would have allowed me to explain some of the issues you raised.

For example you commented on the use of  the word  “Logarithmic” – I agree entirely now in hindsight, but as I had just heard the same statement on the BBC programme “Click”, I didn’t think to check the meaning.  So much for trusting the Beeb!

I thought about putting this on a video too, but thought better of it as I need more practice!

Thanks for asking me to be part of your “experiment” I enjoyed it and have learned some good lessons from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment